Thursday, November 6, 2008

Taking a break from cleaning. I'm trying to get everything scrubbed up good before Pie's big birthday bash in ten days. A thankless task given the amount of sawdust and drywall dust constantly accumulating everywhere. I've lived in a reno so long now I don't think I remember what it's like to live in a normal house. Whatever normal is.
Right now the focus is on Pie's giant room. Marty finished a set of built-in bookshelves in one of her little alcoves, so we had the pleasure of actually moving some of her belongings upstairs the other day. We did a rough count and found we moved just over 200 books. We figure that's about half of her collection, so my baby is a bookworm for sure :) She's been enjoying herself climbing up the stairs to her very own space and playing library with her dolls. She's got eclectic taste in literary fare---everything from A Series of Unfortunate Events to Dora lift-the-flap books....
I listen to a lot of music during my chores-ing...found a station that plays music from the 80's, 90's and now. You all know I'm an 80's girl at heart, so I'm in my glory on Saturday nights when they play all 80's :) Over the summer, I got an unexpected call from my friend Sandy's (she died in September 2006) husband. He has a new girlfriend and was cleaning out the rest of Sandy's stuff and wanted to know if I wanted her tapes. I've known about the girlfriend for quite some time---they hooked up within a few months after Sandy died. More on that later. But of course I gratefully said yes. They brought them a few weeks later, and I listened to them non-stop for days...so many memories of sleepovers and playing music into the wee hours of the morning...Duran Duran, Nik Kershaw, Big Country... I felt sad that no one else was interested in this part of her life---music was a HUGE part of Sandy---but selfishly glad at the same time that I had the opportunity to inherit all of these things. He gave me several Big Country DVDs as well. I figure no one else ever watched them, so I handle them carefully, because if you look at them in the light you can still see her fingerprints. I know that probably sounds really weird, but I miss her so much that I cling on to every little thing.
Meeting the girlfriend was hard. Especially since she looks very much like Sandy. It's just hard for me because to me, Sandy is irreplaceable and I take the fact that she is being replaced personally. I know that is probably wrong, but so be it. I know he went through a lot during her illness and deserves to be happy. It's just hard.

6 comments:

Bridgett said...

Pie is a child after my own heart. :)

Fellow bookworm here!

Autumn's birthday party is in 10 days too...November 16th. She'll be 4. Her party theme this year? Ariel from The Little Mermaid. LOL

XOXO

Ann said...

It's not weird. Happy to have found you again!

Remo said...

I can only guess there is a Def Leppard bandana tied around one leg as you clean.

Unknown said...

Oh SNAP I found you! Tried to read your other blogs (river rat central, hippies..) Dang I've missed you girl!

I cant wait to see how things have progressed...gonna start readin now!

=) kris

Martha said...

Just stopping in on my weekend blogathon blog jog (try sayin' that 10 times fast!). I guess tomorrow is the big party day? A big Happy Birthday to Pie! Hope we'll get to see some photos soon!:-)

Ann said...

Stopping by to wish Pie a most Happy bIrthday!!! I hope you all have an awesome day! :)