Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Candy and Flowers, Dearie

Maggie and I are blessed to have a man in our lives who brings us flowers often and for no reason. Not big expensive bouquets---I would have to kick his ass if he ever brought home a 39.95 box of roses---but small bunches, picked up at dollar stores and grocery check-out lanes. He chooses carefully; purples and other bright hues for color-loving Maggie (she wants her room painted seven shades of purple), the palest pinks for me, to match my skin he says. Last week he found single roses crafted of some kind of balsa wood---they're surprisingly pretty. On special occasions, he'll buy plants---butterfly bushes, roses, herbs, azaleas. I like those better, but the bouquets are nice too:)

He was away a lot last summer/fall. Maggie and I would bide our time, and then, the day he was to return, we would mosey out with a big basket and a pair of scissors, to collect whatever wild blooms were in season. We'd agree on a theme beforehand---all-white; shades of purple; yellows, oranges, and reds; fall leaves, goldenrods, sunflowers and various drying pods, etc. It was fun, and Pie was always pleased as punch to present them to her Dada.

I think about this, because I was talking to someone the other day who told me she has only gotten flowers three times in her life, and never from her (now ex-) husband or any other significant boyfriend. Maggie heard me say this and said "In her whole life, or just on Valentine's Day?" When I said "her whole life", her mouth fell open, then she lowered her head and muttered "It would suck to be her." (I had to laugh because it was so unexpected and she said it with more conviction than you would expect from a 7-year-old).

Needless to say, we're giving this person flowers for Valentine's Day. I hope everybody gets some. If all of the people in your life are idiots, then buy some for yourself---you're worth it. Or send some to somebody else---it might make all the difference in the world.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marty is a gem!

I'm so loving reading about what growing up is like for Maggie.  I can just see the two of you out gathering your flowers.  I think the life you're living now would make a wonderful premise for a book.  Think about it.....

{{{{{{{{BIG HUG}}}}}}}}

Anonymous said...

That is really sweet of him....and thoughtful.  When you talk about picking flowers with Maggie...I think of the Waltons for some reason...probably because I am watching it now...lol.  I am so envious of the life you are giving your daughter...everyone should be so lucky!!

Tracie

Anonymous said...

It is fun to things for people to let them know they are special.

Anonymous said...

Aww that's really sweet.   If I get flowers I will have to buy them myself.  

Anonymous said...

I see Pie is still saying the cutest things. You've given me an idea, I think I'' start picking a person at work, neighbor or even a stranger once a month to give flowers too. I can't afford them from a florist, but I don't think anyone would love then any less if they are picked or bought from the grocery store do you?
Martha :-)

Anonymous said...

"I hope everybody gets some. If all of the people in your life are idiots, then buy some for yourself---"

oh, how i LOVE that you wrote this!!  if all the people in your life are idiots, ROFL!!!!

and Pie, saying it would suck to be her, lololol.  hysterical !

i think, then, i shall stop at the grocery store on thursday & purchase myself a flower :)  

xo Phinney !!

Happy (early) Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Husband always buys me flowers for occasions.  Which is always kind of tricky, because if we put them just any-old-where in the house, they are instant cat food.  Which translates to cat puke a little later.  Not so nice.

But I still love the flowers...

Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

LOL I have the same problem as Lisa. I love flowers and I like to bring them in from my garden but my cats love them too. It doesn't matter what kind they will eat them. LOL

Hugs

Deb

Anonymous said...

Amy, I am so glad you are back-I missed your spirit and observations a lot, but I take vacations from my journal now and then too. I have caught up, and am glad to have a sense of where you are-in place as well as in life. I look forward to hearing more. Love, Margo

Anonymous said...

Pale pink...the color of your skin.
That is truly so beautifully romantic!  

You and Maggie are blessed...but so is your husband.  :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

XOXO,
bridgett